Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Teething biscuits

I'm still trying to avoid wheat for the baby (though I have given him a few saltines now and again, without incident), but sometimes, there's nothing so handy as a cracker. I've been experimenting, and I've developed a cracker recipe that works for me. I used potato starch, but you could also use arrowroot powder or any other alternate flour. If you try it with something different, I'd like to hear about it!

Teething Biscuits

1/4 cup plain yogurt
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon olive (or other) oil
about 3/4 cup potato starch
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
Herbs or cheese

Mix the liquid ingredients first. Add the baking soda to 1/2 cup of potato starch and mix it into the wet ingredients. Then add more starch, a tablespoon or so at a time, until it becomes difficult to stir. Be careful -- if you add too much, it will become impossible to stir! Add in some salt, herbs, or whatever your baby likes. Next time I think I'll try some rosemary.

Spread the batter out thinly on a Silpat or sheet of parchment paper placed on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle with grated cheese, if desired. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until dry. Cut into crackers with a knife or pizza cutter -- you may need to break them up with your hands after scoring them with the knife. Store in an airtight container, if you want an actual edible cracker. If you leave them on the counter, you'll get a teething biscuit that will stand up to hours of chewing, without much cracker ending up inside the baby. ;) They get stale really easily. I've been keeping one in my pocket when we go out, so the baby can have something to chew on and taste without making a mess.

Egg yolk is rich in iron and not allergenic like egg whites are. For even more iron, add a bit of blackstrap molasses to the wet ingredients.

5 comments:

jessica moore said...

I'm going to try this with coconut flour. It may take a few batches to get it right though.
In my experience, coconut flour needs more liquid per flour than other flours. So I think instead of 3/4c Potato Starch, I'll try a little more than 1/2c Coconut flour. I'll let you know how it goes!
Do you have any suggestions?
Jessica

Sheila said...

I'd just add the flour a tablespoon at a time, and when the consistency is right (difficult to stir, but not impossible), you've got the right amount. Let me know what the "right amount" turns out to be!

Faye said...

Rice flour works out well for this, too, though I ended up using about a 1/4 cup more for the recipe. Btw, you posted this on my daughter's first birthday. What luck! Thanks for sharing! :)

Sarah Faith said...

woot! katie from kitchen stewardship just linked to you! you're famous!~ yay

Sheila said...

Yay! She sometimes comments here ... she's one of my "stars" of the blogging world!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...