Pages

Friday, February 12, 2010

Frozen Yogurt

I just finished eating my frozen yogurt from earlier, and it was delicious. I must warn you, though, that frozen yogurt is not the same as ice cream, and it doesn't taste like ice cream. Yogurt will always have that sour yogurt taste. However, if you're in the mood for it, it's just perfect. And, of course, much better for you.

Frozen Yogurt for One

1 cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Put all ingredients in a mug and stir until completely blended. Put in the back of the freezer for about three hours. Then take out, stir, and enjoy!

I stirred every hour or two, but it really doesn't seem to have made a difference. If you leave it in longer, though, it might get too hard if you don't stir before serving.

That is kind of a lot of sugar I put in. The thing is, frozen things need more sugar to still taste sweet. You could cut the sugar a tad, but it will be more sour that way. You can taste as you mix the ingredients together -- it will taste about the same frozen, just keep in mind that the flavors will not be quite as strong.

Variations

Straciatella: Omit vanilla and add mini chocolate chips.

Fruit: Omit vanilla, reduce sugar a bit, and add fruit preserves, puree, or whole fruit pieces. You could also just freeze fruit yogurt.

Spice: Omit vanilla and add a sprinkle each of cinnamon and nutmeg. You could also replace some of the sugar with molasses and add a bit of ginger. Or maybe some cooked apples!

Chocolate: I considered blending in chocolate syrup. I'm not sure how that would blend with the sour yogurt taste. I decided against it, but you could still give it a try.

3 comments:

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

You remind me that I haven't had frozen yogurt in yonks. (I used to freeze fruit yogurt all the time when I was a self-catering uni student. It was my favourite dessert!)

I can't imagine the super coarse crystals of the brown sugar I have in my kitchen dissolving in the yogurt, so maybe I'll try the molasses or some honey. =)

Sheila said...

I don't know if they have the kind of brown sugar I'm used to outside of America. I certainly couldn't find it in Rome. It's quite fine and compacts. But any sweetener would work -- I just like brown sugar best with yogurt.

Meredith said...

I wonder if coffee would be good in it? Coffee has a kind of bitterness already which might hide the bitterness of the yogurt. You could mix some strong, cold coffee in along with brown sugar. Hmm. Maybe I will try it.

But first I have to make a custard pie with the Meyer lemons my mother sent me! Those things are amazing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...