Pages

Saturday, December 29, 2018

Millionaire shortbread

I made millionaire shortbread today.  If you don't know, it's a bar cookie with a layer of shortbread, a layer of toffee, and a layer of chocolate.  It's amazing.

But I thought I'd post because I combined two different recipes, and I'll never be able to remember which those were if I don't write them down!



Shortbread (from here)

2 sticks (1 cup) salted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour

Cream the butter and the sugar and then mix in the flour.  Put in a big pan (I used my 9x`13 pyrex) and bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes.

Tip: you need to do this part first.  I didn't, which caused problems later.  Get the shortbread in the oven before starting the toffee.

Toffee (from here)

1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1 cup sugar
pinch salt

Melt the ingredients together in a heavy pot on medium heat, stirring often.  In about 20 minutes it will turn brown and reach 290-300 degrees.  It's done now and you need to immediately assemble the millionaire shortbread.

Assembly

Pour the toffee over the (hopefully done and slightly cooled) shortbread.  Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top.  Wait for them to melt and then spread the melted chocolate over the toffee with a spoon.  Cut into squares while it's still warm.  Let cool for at least an hour.


I highly recommend these if you, like me, feel like you haven't yet eaten enough decadent food this season!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...